AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

CRP acres are in CRP for a reason (mostly)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Buckwheat
Posted 1/13/2008 01:46 (#281944)
Subject: CRP acres are in CRP for a reason (mostly)

From my experience anyway most CRP acres are not the most desirable acres for producing a decent crop. Sure , acres are in CRP that are productive but as a rule, the HEL (highly erodible land) is in it for a reason.

How much of this do traders and the general public understand? Do they understand that CRP ground is NOT a factory that one can start and stop overnight, let alone in a single crop season?

Granted I am in a marginal wheat area and will be the first to admit it. That being said, with $670/ton 11-52-0, $3.00 farm fuel, $500/ton plus urea if I could bid more ground in to CRP at my current rates, I would seriously consider it, let alone tear ground out. If I thought these Commodity prices would remain high and inputs would decrease I would certainly look forward to cropping some of those CRP acres. HOWEVER has ANYONE checked out these input prices?? Has anyone checked out machinery prices?? This situation is insane.

Please be careful with your capital spending, seems like people get in trouble when times are good, it just doesnt show up till down the road a few years..............
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)