AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Death of E-85????
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Posted 7/2/2006 20:11 (#23611 - in reply to #23339)
Subject: RE: What type of mileage do you get out of E85?

Jon Hagen - 7/1/2006 13:15

My 2000 Dodge Dakota with 4.7 V8 gets 10% less mpg burning E85 compared to Gasoline or E10. By strict BTU numbers,E85 has 25% less BTU's than gasoline,but I argue with Ethanol critics that BTU's are only an accurate measurement if your using it to heat a coffee pot. An engine runs on cylinder pressure and gas expansion. An engine's mpg depends on the octane rating of the fuel,and the engines ability to "tune" itself to take advantage of high octane fuel with increased compression ratio and more ignition lead to generate more cylinder pressure without the fuel detonating. There is a big difference in engines,even flex fuel engines,.An 8.5/1 compression ratio slug will be just as happy on 87 octane sludge gas as 100 octane E85 and may see the full 25% mpg drop,while a 9.5 or 10/1 compression engine that has to "detune" itself drastically to run on 87 octane gasoline will see much less mpg drop,as it can tune itself to take advantage of E85's 100 octane and make up a portion of the economy lost because the fuel has less BTU's. Right now our closest E85 pump in central ND has no E85 fuel at any cost. When more Ethanol production comes online I hope this situation changes. I like the idea of using E85,and like how it my pickup runs on it. The engine idles much smoother than it does on gasoline.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)