AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pythium in this year's corn?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

TrentonKY
Posted 5/24/2013 06:38 (#3114863)
Subject: Pythium in this year's corn?

Trenton, KY
I knew it was bound to show up somewhere and sometime given the weather we have had since planting. Its been a tough start for the year for everyone with many choices to make and we knew that for us delaying our corn planting date into late April and early May historically costs us alot so planting and doing a "good job" early beats doing a "perfect job" late nearly everytime. We planted maybe 1/3 of our crop with the planter performing like you would want to see, and at first when the corn emerged we couldn't have been happier with our stands and we felt really blessed for the crop to look so good early on. Like everyone else we have probably had 10-15 degrees cooler temperatures than normal nearly everyday this spring, and we have basically stayed saturated since April 25th or so. As a result we replanted 75 acres last week, mainly ponded areas in the earlier planted corn, or incredibly flat ground that never emerged in the later planted corn. Last week I was really shocked when I was replanting that I couldn't already see pythium coming in on some areas that have given trouble in the past given the weather we've had, but we have seen drastic changes in the last few days this week and its going to get really ugly really quick if we dont get some good weather and fast! All of our corn was treated with the standard Poncho or Cruiser and it was the 250 rate on both. Has going to higher rates of fungicide on the seed really proven to aid in warding off pythium? Does started fertilizer help the plant enough to be worth considering because all of our ground is sufficient on P & K on a soil test? I read on NAT when I searched the subject something about adding biologicals, but I didn't quite understand that discussion, so could someone explain that one too?

Thanks is advance for all comments, maybe we can learn from one another's experiences on this!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)