AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What would make a good planter tractor?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Mike SE IL
Posted 7/1/2006 13:34 (#23342 - in reply to #23100)
Subject: RE: What would make a good planter tractor?

West Union, Illinois

John.

My concern with your list is this:  Everything listed is old.

I like IH.  Except for an AC a landlady owns and a JD 8640 Dad bought (long story there) everything we have is IH or CIH red.  Having said that I would not suggest a 1066/86 for a loader tractor.  That came to a realization today mowing roads.  I traded my old 966 off last winter when we traded planters and got a 7210 (it came with the used planter as a package)  I was mowing roads this morning and realized how much easier it was not fighting the old IH transmission, pretty much the same the 1066/86 have on them.

And the '66 series cab was a joke.  it kept the rain off you and if the AC worked was cool. But it was not easy to get in and out of and was just a little noiser than setting out in the open.  '86 series had the first decent cab IH made.

Oliver was an under-rated company.  But it no longer exists.  You are buying an orphan.   Come to think of it same with the Case and IH.  MF is still there, but basically it is just as much an orphan as the Oliver.  Or AC

I'm sure the reason you are looking at that age is finances and I understand that.  But do some pencil pushing and see if you can justify something like the little Magnum Dale is talking about, or one of the not too old Deeres.

Maybe even an Agco.  In some areas they have a lower resale value than others.  You might do some distance shopping and find a deal.

Down the road 5 years you'll be saying "Them old guys were right!"

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)