AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Problem NH 8870
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

WYDave
Posted 6/30/2006 14:08 (#23093 - in reply to #22922)
Subject: RE: Problem NH 8870

Wyoming

From having a Genesis myself, and having had the front axle off, here's some things to look for:

Look at that swinging linkage above the supersteer assembly.  In your fourth picture, (0629061852a.jpg), look at that pin in the center of the front of the frame. I see the swinging linkage casting has failed there. If you could look at that casting very closely, on both sides, look for evidence of prior cracking on the crack face. basically, you're looking for rust and oxidation on the crack face, followed by fresh metal being exposed when the crack finished working its way across the casting.

From knowing how the Genesis supersteer mechanism works, here is a SWAG (scientific wild-a$$ed guess) on what might have gone wrong: someone really thumped that front end hard with that weight stack on there and cracked the swinging linkage. When/if the swinging linkage starts to fail, the front end geometry starts to come apart, which resulted in your tire de-beading and the FWD shaft getting out of alignment, causing failure there. Second possible cause: defective casting that just took a while to fail.

I'd have to either be there in person to examine the failures really closely, or need lots of up-close photos of all the cracked members and failed components (FWD shaft included) to come to any more definate conclusions. 

The really expensive thing in the Genesis front end is the axle casting. Yours appears intact. You appear to need at least a new swing linkage, a new swing linkage pin, a new FWD shaft, and (I'm assuming) you'll need new steering tie rods. You might try some of the big tear-down yards, but when I've gone looking for Genesis parts in tear-down yards, there is not much to be had. Unlike some other machine colors/models, the Genesis is pretty recent, didn't suffer from auto-immolation failure (ala Deere 30/40/50 series machines) and the Genesis wasn't made in huge numbers (but good numbers), so there aren't a lot of them in tear-down yards. You might have to just bit the bullet and call NH for parts.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)