AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

More on Strip Till
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

hwdcne
Posted 7/2/2006 18:29 (#23590 - in reply to #23331)
Subject: Re: More on Strip Till

Soutwest Ks.
John G.: Haven't used a fungicide yet. Gray leaf seems to be more of a problem in corn on corn with strip till versus conventional. I try to pick hybrids that are rated high. Pioneer is going to be rating their hybrids this fall for strip till adaptability. I think planting the right hybrid will be more important than we realize at this time. Emergence because of trash over the row can be a problem. When I'm finished planting I want the planted surface to not be lower than the rest of the field, but if you have a standing old corn row on either side of the planted row and you have a neighbor that shreds his corn stalks to ridge till, add high winds and you have the making for a headache as his residue will blow onto your field and lodge. Is that a problem with strip till or is it a ridge till problem? I had that happen on a few acres this year where I had 3" of trash blow over and lodge the corn is 3' shorter. Fortunately not many rows were affected. If this happens again next year I will probably burn the stalks for a short distance in the field before corn emergence or right before planting. Still-Learning: The letters of my handle are approximate phonetic shorthand of name, i.e. first name is Howard. Have a good day!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)