AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

More on Strip Till
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

hwdcne
Posted 7/1/2006 08:47 (#23264 - in reply to #23146)
Subject: Re: More on Strip Till

Soutwest Ks.
To experiment with alternative farming methods takes a certain mind set that some people find very difficult to acquire.
If you have a very nice, late model spread of conventional till equipment it can be very difficult to admit that you made a mistake in your purchases. Subconciously some people will belittle and find fault in something alternative thus making them more comfortable with what they own. I struggle with this mind set at times too. I have a full set of conventional till equipment that I believe someday I will have to admit is virtually worthless to me or anyone else. To think outside of the box takes courage and self-confidence. I believe that almost any farming method will work and grow good crops as long as you take time to develop and iron out the kinks in the machinery. Some methods of course are more efficient i.e. strip till or no till and I believe if we put the same effort into making these systems work as we have spent with conventional till we will be very rewarded. As I stated in a previous thread, I have been experiementing with strip till for four years, basically building my own unit. I'm still learning and working out some bugs but I am happy I have started down this road. I have people ask if it is a farming practice that will stay, I believe so but I'm not positive. My yield trials have shown virtually identical yields, strip till versus conventional, corn on corn for several years now. I was hoping to see yields increase, but when I consider savings I'm very happy.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)