AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

More on Strip Till
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

John Burns
Posted 6/29/2006 22:29 (#22921 - in reply to #22891)
Subject: RE: More on Strip Till

Pittsburg, Kansas

Area Extension Research center did three years of replicated tests for no-till, strip till and reduced broadcast tillage on corn with several fertilizer placement studies interposed. Yields were highest in broadcast tillage, lowest in no-till, and about half way between for strip till. That really surprised me as I thought the strip till might be the best of both worlds. Not in SE Kansas I guess. I would have expected the strip till to be as good as the broadcast tillage. No-till corn "here" has been tried and failed by better operators than I. Some of them tried pretty hard for a number of years before giving up. This year might be one that no-till works here as it has been the driest spring in years. I know this will offend some no-till purists and believe me I would like nothing better than to find a way of cutting out all the tillage passes with associated machinery and fuel cost but so far I know of no-one who has been successful at it with corn consistantly "here". Beans are a different story. Here they are planted a couple months later than corn when it is warmer and drier. Central and western Kansas is a whole different world and I think strip and no-till work a lot better there and they actually can see some yield increases do to better water conservation. Here in SE Kansas we usually need to get rid of water at corn planting time.

John

Edited by John Burns 6/29/2006 23:34
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)