AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Giving up on Strip till to the top for sek farmer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Newguy
Posted 6/30/2006 12:42 (#23070 - in reply to #23022)
Subject: Re: Giving up on Strip till to the top for sek farmer

Renville Minnesota

Manure is one big reason we are "giving up" for now.     Have liquid hog manure around us with the neighbors putting up 300 more milkers they also are contributing..........well, SELLING us good ole poo.........

Broadcast VS. Banding..................Mix nix to me, pure and best fertilizer results come from the tail end of the beasts hands down.

Im a fan of strip till, maybe someday we will go back to it when the ducks are lined up.   

I've been writing a biography from starting with "Zone tillage" to strip tillage that we have been doing for the last 4 years.   Will post it here when done, but it wont be soon.    There are many advantages to strip till with some disadvantages.  

This year we shot ourselves in the foot and just want to simplify life for the next.    Some say its a management issue,   I say its a profit issue,  when the planter aint runnin because of tillage when it should be, the profit will go down.   Beans planted here in early may look heads and tails better than those planted may 25.    Not saying they will yeild better, but id bet ya all a dollar they will, this year anyway.   The fault is not the equipment, but rather the trash covering the row not letting what little sun we had in early may to dry out the topsoil.    For those doing corn trash, for sure keep the stalk high as possible, and we here will never leave it till spring, unless tile lines are every 50 feet, and maybe they will be by the next time we jump into strips.

Good Luck  

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)