AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anybody Leave the Shields On a Combine?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

COdrylander
Posted 6/27/2006 23:23 (#22405)
Subject: Anybody Leave the Shields On a Combine?

NE CO
I traded off by old 2188 this winter and am getting the new 2388 ready this week. When I delivered the old combine, I filled a pickup with all the "like new" shields and returned them to the dealer to reinstall on the old combine before reselling it. Now to get the new machine ready to go to the field, I've removed most of the shields to make the combine accessible. My question is, Do any of you guys leave the shields on, or are they just in the way. I mean really, why do I have to open a shield to get to my toolbox? Half of the shields protect nothing more than some hydraulic lines. When a combine is running, there is no one around them anyway. And if you are off of the combine while it is running, it is usually to check some malfunction and you have to open or remove the shield to locate the problem anyway. I do leave shields in place on the header where someone might try to squeeze by while unloading into a parked truck or something.

Ok, so enough of my rant. Am I being foolish, or do a lot of you guys do the same thing on your own farms? I suppose if I had employees, or even kids around anymore, I might have a different opinion. Naw, on second thought, I just think they are in the way with little contribution to real safety.

Edited by COdrylander 6/27/2006 23:46
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)