AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Computer is slow, where do I look?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

vstk
Posted 6/28/2006 01:05 (#22450 - in reply to #22388)
Subject: RE: Computer is slow, where do I look?

There is a lot of things to be considered. First thing is this........CPU speed means little or nothing in the real world. A 3.0 P4 will rock next to a 3.0 Celery CPU. Some of the latest CPU's form Intel arent very fast and are awsome performers................there are a lot of other considerations. All that happens when we crank out the Mhz is we create a lot of heat.......there is more to performance than that. Front side bus speed has a large inpact (FSB) often the low end CPU's are very slow here and things get bottle necked..........a better CPU will run around 800 FSB. The cache is also critical to performance...........a decent CPU will have a 1 Mb cache and an even better CPU will have 2 Mb cache...some of my builds have 2, 2 Mb caches for a total of 4 Mb, your Celery may have 256K..........or even less. When talking about memory........you need to consider memory clock speed.........if you have PC 133 and run it against PC3200...there isnt a chance they will be close. Depending on the rest of the computer you may not notice an improvment from 512 Mb on up...........A lot of people want bragging rights and want a lot of memory....most times after a Gig it becomes a waist for most people. OK..........hard drives...........not all is equall here. Hard drive rotational speed is important, a 7200 RPM drive vs a 5400 RPM drive isnt compairable. Also the hard drive interface is important.......an SATA drive or even an SATA 2 drive like I use in all of my builds now will smoke a standard IDE drive in performance........Even hard drive manufacturer will make a difference. A Seagate drive will out perform most others..............as well as out last them. A video card will make a ton of difference in performance...............most cheap systems have integrated video.the video is part of the motherboard, which sucks, how well it does in comparison would depend on how much system memory was set aside for video. Even a cheap 128 Mb video card will make a lot of difference. Even the motherboard it self can make a performance difference...........There is no one place to point, it all has to match and run together. it doesnt matter how big a carb you put on a VW bug.it is still a VW bug...............and it stil wont fly.

Hardware aside...........you need some real anti-virus and some better anti-spyware. You need to start looking at the startup and services. A lot of things end up in the startup and really bog down a system. Some regular maintenance goes a long way..........dump your temps, dump your internet cache...do a defrag. I dont recomend any 3rd party maintenance software.................Windows will do anything you need to do with less danger of problems. Almost without fail, people cal and tell me how they found some really cool super duper gonna fix there puter software but now it wont run can I fix it up. I get it running as it should be only to have them install some freebie gonna save there system fixit software and crash it again. It ussually only takes a couple times for them to learn. There is a time and place for special apps but most of the good ones arent free.

Anyway Mike...................there is a lot more to it than comparing a couple CPU specs. I woldnt want the AMD either..................but that is just an opinion. A real genuine Pentium will be the best performing and most solid and stable CPU you can use. I build a lot of 600 series and 900 series systems..............pretty tough to compare with anything else out there.

Van
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)