AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

GPS reciever on 9600
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 6/30/2006 07:04 (#22977 - in reply to #22900)
Subject: Re: GPS reciever on 9600

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
You are correct in that you cannot "offset" the boundary left or right of the centerline with the PF3000. This means that a realistic boundary needs to be created another way. This was certainly a limitation of the Boundary concept.

The Ag Leader Insight system does allow for the creation of the Boundary on the first outer pass. When you indicate that you wish to start a boundary, you are presented with an Offset box and a Measurement box where you can indicate whether the offset is to be to the Left or Right and how far.

Once you have completed the Boundary (3 sides out of 4 for a rectangular field is sufficient), the acres inside the region are computed and the Boundary can be saved. With the Insight it is also possible to make "Inner Boundaries" for other obstacles such as Waterways, Groves, etc. The Area of these Inner Boundaries is subtracted from the Outer Boundary in an attempt to give the true area of the field.

Since I don't have any fields that require an Inner Boundary I don't have much personal experience with the procedure.

I did use it accidently in one field however. This field had a boundary that I had created with SMS and exported to the Insight. This boundary was a bit "too large" and caused some problem with AutoSwath. The problem is that AuotSwath would turn the outer boom section back On as I made a wide turn on the ends since the outerboom section would pass over land that was not sprayed but yet inside the boundary.

"Tightening up" the boundary should solve the problem. I didn't pay close attention and thought that I was creating a new Outer Boundary when in fact I was creating a new Inner Boundary. When I had completed this boundary, the area of this 100 acre field was shown as some 2.6 acres. Once I looked at the Boundary it became clear. I had created a Boundary within a Boundary in the shape of a picture frame which was about 2.6 acres.

This would not be acceptable at all for use with AutoSwath as the Inner Boundary would be considered as an area "not to spray". Fortunately, I was able to discard the new inner boundary and run with the orginial outer boundary. I just needed to shut off the Master switch once AutoSwath had shut off all the sections to prevent any inadvertent spraying of the road ditch or adjoining fields.

Edited by tedbear 6/30/2006 07:16
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)