AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Insulating pole barn slab
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Indianajones
Posted 3/25/2013 09:15 (#2989755)
Subject: Insulating pole barn slab

Building a shop with perma-columns and slab. Looking for info on how others insulated the slab. This will have radiant heat not in floor heat.
INDY
Top of the page Bottom of the page
iseedit
Posted 3/25/2013 15:56 (#2990501 - in reply to #2989755)
Subject: RE: Insulating pole barn slab

central - east central Minnesota -

Indianajones - 3/25/2013 09:15 Building a shop with perma-columns and slab. Looking for info on how others insulated the slab. This will have radiant heat not in floor heat. INDY

Build your slab base, level and compact. The base elevation should be taken inconsideration, with the thickness of the foam, if height is super critical for clearance.
Lay plastic vapor barier down and lay foam on top. Tape seams.
For outside insulation frost barrier, dig down  2ft vertical (for here in MN frost depths) and out 4ft downward slope horizontal. Fasten foam to outside poles/columns to grade. then lay 4ft sheet down and back fill. This keeps the frost from getting under your slab.
I would also lay plastic over the top of the foam, on the outside.

Edited by iseedit 3/25/2013 15:58

(insulaton a.jpg)

(Copy of PA160098.JPG)

(PA190122.JPG)

(PA240139.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments insulaton a.jpg (22KB - 809 downloads)
Attachments Copy of PA160098.JPG (66KB - 646 downloads)
Attachments PA190122.JPG (67KB - 651 downloads)
Attachments PA240139.JPG (70KB - 626 downloads)
NEILFarmer
Posted 3/25/2013 20:42 (#2991268 - in reply to #2990501)
Subject: Re: Insulating pole barn slab

Morris, IL
I agree with Chris. We did same thing with 2" and visqueen under the floor. I wasn't sure about the visqueen but within hours of putting it down it was wet under it. Under areas where loaded semis and loaded forklifts could run i'd reccomend 40 PSI foam. Everywhere else 25 PSI will do just fine. We got our 25 psi from menards (pink stuff) and the 40 psi from diversifoam. http://diversifoam.com/ I'd go with diversifoam for everything if it did it over again. Much better company to deal with and very similar price on similar products. In our case we just stapled heat tubes to the foam board, rebar on 4" stands. I have some pictures i'll post as well.

Also we went down 4' with 2" foam board. We nailed a treated 2"x12" all around our shed setting top of it at concrete grade. Behind that we put a 16" piece of foam. Under it we put the remaining 32" piece. So basically insulation only goes 44" but same difference. To do this we dug on inside of building with a mini mini excavator. It worked pretty good although we under estimated how much concrete morton poured when building shed. We went around the concrete with a flexible foam, it worked but not as good. Everything got back filled with clean (no fines) gravel, it doesn't settle which is important when dealing with a 4' hole under concrete.

As you can see, we are planning on in floor heat although shop isn't finished and heated yet. If i was doing ceiling tube heat i wouldn't change a thing. I just feel that the insulation will help no matter what you use to heat building. My theory is the frost barrier down 4' keeps winter time frost from creeping under the floor so the 55 degree year round ground temp can rise to the surface of shop floor or until insulation. If you plan on keeping building over 55 degree you want under floor temp. That is my opinion, worth what you paid for it.

(Shop floor 9 2011.jpg)

(Shop floor 19 2011.jpg)

(Shop floor 10 2011.jpg)

(Shop floor 18 2011.jpg)

(Shop floor 37 2011.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Shop floor 9 2011.jpg (74KB - 740 downloads)
Attachments Shop floor 19 2011.jpg (84KB - 725 downloads)
Attachments Shop floor 10 2011.jpg (67KB - 693 downloads)
Attachments Shop floor 18 2011.jpg (85KB - 675 downloads)
Attachments Shop floor 37 2011.jpg (81KB - 725 downloads)
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)