AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Got a big question on lubing intervals
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jon Hagen
Posted 6/26/2006 00:54 (#22022 - in reply to #21951)
Subject: Re: Got a big question on lubing intervals

Hagen Brothers farms,Goodrich ND
Tommyw, I have used the Mobil 1 grease for years,and yes,it is far better than mineral oil base grease. I use it in everything that does not have open sleeve bearings that need to be flushed with grease. The film strength is fantastic,the first place I really noticed it was on the center U joints of articulated 4 wd tractors. With mineral grease in those center driveline slip joints of the 4wd tractors,they would lock up and set up a nasty vibration when you turned them under a heavy load. With the Mobil 1 synthetic grease,that rumble and shudder is gone. I use it in everything and parts replacement went way down,I guestimate that most stuff lasts 2-3 time longer. It costs $4 per tube but so what,Compared to replaceing parts,its the cheapest input my equipment gets. And yes,its ok to put mobil1 synthetic in a joint that had lithium grease in it,no compatibility problems. About the only grease that had compatibility problems was polyurea,but now most brands have a modified polyurea that will mix with other grease without problems.
As to how often to grease? Somthing that has been over greased and is a sloppy greasy mess,usually only takes a few minutes with a pressure washer to make it look as good as it probibly is,while somthing that has seen little or no grease is usually a hopeless rusty worn out mess.

Edited by Jon Hagen 6/26/2006 01:03
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)