AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Morton building cost vs qaulity?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

bleedred
Posted 2/14/2013 07:25 (#2898086)
Subject: Morton building cost vs qaulity?

East Central Ia
Got a Morton qoute and its a good 20% higher then either Lester or EPS. I cant find anything that could add that much cost. They are all speced about the same.

Do they do something to make a better building? All our hog barns are Lester and we have had zero issues with them over the last 16 yrs. So even if they are better... it seems to me it would be overkill and an awfuly expensive Morton sign. We are about to discard this option but want to give the salesman one chance to sit down and pitch his product and see what you guys say.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
smitty
Posted 2/14/2013 07:32 (#2898103 - in reply to #2898086)
Subject: RE: Morton building cost vs qaulity?

NCIA
Morton gives you a nice jacket.
GrainTrader
Posted 2/14/2013 07:35 (#2898107 - in reply to #2898086)
Subject: Re: Morton building cost vs qaulity?

20 Miles West of Indianapolis Indiana
have you considered hiring a general Contractor to help you and doing it yourself? thats what we did. saves A LOT of $
nwiafmr
Posted 2/14/2013 07:44 (#2898124 - in reply to #2898086)

Woodbury county
What kind of warranty does Lester have with their new buildings.....? Seems like Morton has a 50 year snow load/wind damage warranty on their buildings and 10 year warranty on their aluminum doors....?
girlfarmer
Posted 2/14/2013 07:50 (#2898137 - in reply to #2898086)

MN
We put up a new shed last year. We went with Grizzly. Very well built machine shed and a lot less $$$$ than Morton. We looked at Morton's, Grizzly's, and Northland. In the end we got a 62 x 108 x 18 for $56k. Morton wanted 68k for the same shed.
girlfarmer
Posted 2/14/2013 07:52 (#2898143 - in reply to #2898086)

MN
Stay away from Lester, we have a neighbor who has one that is 5 years old and has been a nightmare for service and quality.
luvwhatmedo
Posted 2/14/2013 07:52 (#2898144 - in reply to #2898086)

NEKS
We ve got 2 Mortons and both timed they were higher than everbody else. But we felt that the post being on 7.5 ft centers, raised cord trusses, sliding doors that are second to none and an excellant warranty which we havent needed were worth the extra money. I have seen them replace whole roofs because of paint problems many times and have yet to see anyother company around here cover their paint warrantys. I will also say pick which company suits your needs for the best price as some of the things dont matter to everybody.
gene_champ
Posted 2/14/2013 07:54 (#2898151 - in reply to #2898107)

NC Iowa
GrainTrader - 2/14/2013 06:35

have you considered hiring a general Contractor to help you and doing it yourself? thats what we did. saves A LOT of $

also need to make sure you have a firm bid on ALL material for the complete building. that there is builders insurance on structure. liability insurance, and workmans comp on everyone that set foot on your property. i would also get a lien waver from all suppliers or you may not save as much as you planned.
deereonly1
Posted 2/14/2013 08:05 (#2898187 - in reply to #2898086)

EC IL
Look around and compare some buildings that have some age on them (20-30 years). I feel like the paint, the steel & the doors have enuf extra quality built into a Morton to give it somewhat of an edge.
bob1968
Posted 2/14/2013 08:18 (#2898210 - in reply to #2898086)

I have 2 Mortons Dad built and I have built 2 more buildings that weren't Mortons. Morton builds a nice building but other companies do too. On my last building I got heavier trusses, heavier columns, post savers, and closer sidewall perlin spacing all for considerably less money than Morton. The only area where Morton was superior was with 26 gauge metal and that costs less than $1000 to upgrade with my builder. A lot of people justify Morton's higher cost with their warranty. On my oldest Morton building built in 1984 the columns have rotted off at ground level. They are supposed to have a 50 year warranty but I can't get Morton to fix them. Morton looked at them when I was considering them for a new building but now I can't get the time of day from Morton. I found the Morton salesman to be pushy wanting me to sign right away to avoid price increases that would happen next week. The builder I went with didn't see any price increases coming and gave me plenty of time to decide. I'd consider building another Morton building in the future but I'd never pay a dime more for them so I guess that's not going to happen.
clicker
Posted 2/14/2013 08:29 (#2898231 - in reply to #2898210)

Southern IA
poor support seems to be a recurring theme on their warranties, so how much value do you really apply to a builders warranties, I suppose you could make a lawsuit out of it but I'm guessing they got a whole fleet of lawyers on retainer to handle those exact issues that know every angle to weasle out
bleedred
Posted 2/14/2013 08:47 (#2898273 - in reply to #2898143)

East Central Ia
Lester is great in our area... We already have 3 of their buildings. We are in the area of the largest Lester hog building company, and machine shed company... Two different builders.
Tommy
Posted 2/14/2013 08:48 (#2898276 - in reply to #2898086)
Subject: RE: Morton building cost vs quality?

Iowa
Price variance seems to depend on the area.

Companies that have "dealers" erect (such as Lesters) have inconsistent quality.

A close neighbor had the local lumberyard put up a shed--saved $10,000 on a fairly big building. Blew down within a few months. A Morton sits there now, and he has built a second Morton. A neighbor a few miles in the other direction put up a Wicks. Blew down within weeks of completion. A Morton sits there as well. He told me the ordeal cost him way more $$ than if he had just built a Morton in the first place. Right next door there sits a Cleary and the end door is about a foot off-center--it is NOT supposed to be that way. The foreman quit during construction, and total time was at least 6 weeks. My newest Morton is bigger and took 4.5 days to erect. All 3 of these examples are within 8 miles of each other.

Needless to say this neighborhood is all Morton after what has happened with the others.

I think it depends on the local Morton office and crews. "Here" they'll be late (they promise a date to get the sale and then don't make it). But they are VERY good about honoring their warranty, and are not much more money at all than QUALITY competitors.
bleedred
Posted 2/14/2013 08:51 (#2898285 - in reply to #2898187)

East Central Ia
We expected Morton to be higher... But not $50k higher!

Also the warranties seem to be pretty similar. They all put a lot of talk into their post warranty but we are building on a concrete wall so that's a non factor.
NR4440
Posted 2/14/2013 09:10 (#2898339 - in reply to #2898086)

Iowa
Have you considered Pro Line buildings? Ive heard good things about them.
bob1968
Posted 2/14/2013 09:16 (#2898356 - in reply to #2898231)

I'm planning to fix it myself. Not worth the hassle. Just chalked it up to a learning experience.
Fred
Posted 2/14/2013 09:31 (#2898386 - in reply to #2898086)

south east SD
Had a lumber yard shed built in 2000 and this year I added on to it. Builder was a different crew, wanted to know what company did I get the steel from? Called the other builder who did the 1st shed and is now more into building houses. He told me the company name. Now the old and new sheds are hooked together and I can't see any difference in color at all!! I went from a 104 x 60 x 16 and added a 72 x 60 x 20 to it with a 40x 20 bi-fold door.

Edited by Fred 2/14/2013 09:32
combinedmf
Posted 2/14/2013 09:34 (#2898391 - in reply to #2898086)

Hillsboro, OH
Dad has a Walters building. Excellent building with very good warranty support. That said, we've only had one issue in 18 years. I think your builder has more impact than anything. Find out who would be building each brand & go look at some of his work. Talk with the building owner about their experiences.
durallymax
Posted 2/14/2013 09:57 (#2898433 - in reply to #2898086)

Wi
We have built 10 Morton buildings. The reasoning behind using them has always been the building quality, warranty and customer service. We have had them out to replace sections of roofs that were partially damaged due to very heavy ice sheets blocking up snow load. No questions asked they just fix them.

You can see a lot of the quality they put into them. The overuse of treated wood and their ridiculous columns all make a building that may be overkill but is nice. When they built our shop they hired in an excavator to dig the footing for the corner post of our L shaped mezzanine. Their auger only did the 20-24"x6' footings for the rest of the posts but for that one they wanted it over 3' wide. I am not sure why, I think we could stack all of our skid steers up there and be fine though.
senorthdakota
Posted 2/14/2013 10:09 (#2898458 - in reply to #2898433)

I would look in a foltz building also seem like good company
NACCAN
Posted 2/14/2013 10:12 (#2898461 - in reply to #2898086)

NE Iowa
Our neighbor had two buildings, both from the 80s.
Strong wind, blew the one down, the Morton stood. He said the posts were only in 3 ft, and at the time he paid for 5ft.

On Dad's Morton building, the Morton crew looked at the site, said he needed taller posts on the north side. Cost more, but it lasted through the storm also.
Rockhead
Posted 2/14/2013 10:21 (#2898484 - in reply to #2898086)

Chippewa County, MN
I put up an Amerbuilt building. I was also looking at Morton, Lester, Grizzly and a few others. In my opinion, the Ameribuilt had the best design. A couple of folks who built another brand of building in the last few years felt that perhaps the Ameribuilt was better built after looking mine over.
redpower24
Posted 2/14/2013 10:30 (#2898508 - in reply to #2898086)

Eastern Central ND
I've put up two Mortons in the past and have been very satisfied with them. Currently, I'm having them erect a hybrid building 80' x 200' x 21'. I know that you can get lower priced buildings. However, having an engineering background, I will say this; when comparing buildings make sure that you have "apples to apples". Check their ground snow load, live load, and wind load ratings. Ask them if they are Certified ratings by a Licensed PE for your state, if not, I wouldn't trust those numbers. I'd have someone familiar with construction design run some quick comparsions. A few quick things to look for; column and truss spacing, girt and purlin spacing, column sizes, laminated is stronger than solid, wood stress rating and species of purlins and girts (must be capable of holding the loading over the span), ratings should be MSR or equivalent, obviously need to look at size of purlins and girts. These are a few of the things to look for as far as strength of a building goes. Next look at the finishing details; how windows and doors are framed out and trimmed out as well, compare sheet metal (don't let tensile strength fool you, look at guage as well), what is the paint warranty (fading and replacement policy), warranty in general, and how easy are the construction crews to work with. I can tell you that the crews I've worked with have been very accommodating to my suggestions and have even made counter recommendations that are even better.

All that being said, Morton is a fine building. But, there are other ones as well. Just do your homework.
Harmon
Posted 2/14/2013 11:17 (#2898584 - in reply to #2898508)

Check with Pro Steel from Loveland, Co. They erect everywhere. Had priced a Morton two years ago and got a Ceco steel hangar 70x100 for lots less money plus no wood in the ground. Crew excellent. No comparison between steel and wood post frame construction for strength.
BBfarms
Posted 2/14/2013 11:18 (#2898588 - in reply to #2898086)

SE Michigan
Had a Morton built in 97. Had local builders quote a 40x60x12, the found a add in SF for a special deal at Morton 48x70x14 with one more 21' door for about $1200 more then the other buildings I was looking at. No brainer here, went with the Morton.

Have you given the salesman a chance to look at the other quotes?

"You only get what you negotiate, not what you deserveā€

Photo was taken in December 2012

Edited by BBfarms 2/14/2013 11:20

(033.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 033.jpg (91KB - 979 downloads)
Nemo farms
Posted 2/14/2013 12:43 (#2898750 - in reply to #2898086)

Morton Warranty is only good if your a current morton customer. You put another brand of building they could care less about your old one. Even if you had problems with your building built by a local or Lester, it would take a lot to add up to the 50K... (just for a warranty.)
cornwgn
Posted 2/14/2013 12:49 (#2898766 - in reply to #2898086)

Hubbard IA Cornpatch USA
Call numark in pella ia really good quality building......
gene_champ
Posted 2/14/2013 12:54 (#2898781 - in reply to #2898285)

NC Iowa
bleedred - 2/14/2013 07:51

We expected Morton to be higher... But not $50k higher!

Also the warranties seem to be pretty similar. They all put a lot of talk into their post warranty but we are building on a concrete wall so that's a non factor.

wow, 50k! how big a building is it? even if they were 20% higher, that would be a 250k building. i do think morton is high on finishing the interior. attached office and wrap around porch can add up too. real saving there by shopping for material and having someone local do it.

some companies cut the material so close that you have to break apart the shipping palates to use that lumber for the girts. you are usually ready for the girts first.
IowaGuy
Posted 2/14/2013 14:01 (#2898872 - in reply to #2898086)

I live in your area and have a Lester machine shed. I also have 2 Lester hog buildings that have held up very well over the past 16 years. The machine shed doesn't seem to have the same quality of material however. So far the service has been good. I don't care for the 10 ft centers they use on the rafters and the 2x4 size of supports between the rafters. Of course you can negotiate this first. If I had the decision over I think I would go with EPS. I think a lot of your satisfaction depends on the quality of the ersction crew you get as well.

Edited by IowaGuy 2/14/2013 14:04
pbutler
Posted 2/14/2013 14:57 (#2898961 - in reply to #2898086)

Macon, IL
Drive around and look at old buildings. I have a 9 year old Morton that looks like it was put up yesterday.
bleedred
Posted 2/14/2013 16:12 (#2899063 - in reply to #2898781)

East Central Ia
72x192 half shop half cold storage.
bleedred
Posted 2/14/2013 16:13 (#2899066 - in reply to #2898339)

East Central Ia
NR4440 - 2/14/2013 08:10

Have you considered Pro Line buildings? Ive heard good things about them.

Haven't heard of them... Where are they out of?
bleedred
Posted 2/14/2013 16:27 (#2899090 - in reply to #2898086)

East Central Ia
We sat down with our Morton salesman... Very nice and knowledgable guy!

We need to sit down and make sure we are comparing apples to apples now.

But all in all... I can't many specs that are very different. We have a bid from EPS, Lester, and Morton so far. Morton is way higher then the other two. Neighbors are in the process of building a very similar size EPS and its stout!

Going to go look at a few Lester buildings and a few Morton's next week.
humblefarmer
Posted 2/14/2013 18:13 (#2899297 - in reply to #2899063)

indiana
Doesn't surprise me. Too each his own but if you are comfortable with something other than the Morton---build it.
SFO
Posted 2/14/2013 19:46 (#2899542 - in reply to #2898584)

Findlay, Ohio
+1 had a Morton blow down and put up a Butler Steel building, much better deal than a Morton.
RGliden
Posted 2/14/2013 20:12 (#2899626 - in reply to #2898356)

NW TN, Dyersburg
I just did the same thing on a Morton last fall, after Morton looked at it and refused to fix it because I wasn't the original owner. Fixing it isn't too bad.
Dennis SEND
Posted 2/14/2013 20:28 (#2899661 - in reply to #2899626)

Dad put up a Morton energy performer building in 97' that we use as a shop, it is small 30x45 but I personally have no desire to have a big shop and work on stuff all winter, I also have a 42x80 lumberyard building for cold storage both work out fine and are good buildings, where the Morton shines is the interior for a shop or at least they did at the time, if I was to do one today there are a lot of things I would do differnt but like I said above don't really get excited about working on stuff and my Quad trac, combine, and sprayer (as long as it is winterized) don't really care if they are in a heated building or at least I have never heard them complain anyways.

Kinda get a kick out of people bragging up the Morton warrenty, don't you have farm insurance, pretty shure you can insure a building on your farm policy for a lot less than the premium Morton is charging to give you a warrenty (just so you know it is not really "free" they have a % figured into the price when you buy.

Seems like the things your farm policy doesn't cover is the same stuff the Morton says they will but it is like pulling teeth to get them to cover it, ie paint & rotting posts I have read enough posts on here about these subjects to figure out it almost takes an act of congress to get them to cover this stuff.

Edited by Dennis SEND 2/14/2013 20:29
GuernseyGuy
Posted 2/14/2013 21:20 (#2899824 - in reply to #2898086)

WCOH
Tornado went through area few years ago and 'tweaked' a Morton that was less than 5 years old. Don't know how much damage but it was still standing. Morton came, knocked it down and built a new one. On the other hand guy I know down the road took a crew 3-4 weeks (not working every day) to build his 48x60.

Edit: I'm going out on a limb and guessing salesman and crew make a big difference. Only Morton we have is a 32x45 on a place we bought, about 40 years old, it still stands and looks great.

Edited by GuernseyGuy 2/15/2013 00:26
Gerald J.
Posted 2/14/2013 21:44 (#2899893 - in reply to #2899090)

Last new shed I bought I had a cheap price from Cleary but when I kicked their shins to make the doors clear 14', not 14' eaves the price went up and then when I demanded they meet central Iowa snow loads their price went up to about the Morton price. Morton did give me a price in minutes after I asked at the State Fair. Some companies haven't given me a price in 6 or 8 years since I asked and left a floor and door plan. More than one that did put the eave where I wanted the top of the door. At the end of the process I was down to liking Lester and Wicks. I went with Wicks and have no complaints. Since then I bought a place with a 78 vintage Morton. The sliding door was dragging, I called the local Morton office, he promised to come look at it. Three years later he's not been here. I cranked up the roller nuts myself, next the door wood needs a lot replaced because its rotted. I may change to an overhead door if I can get as much clearance by some subterfuge as I get with the sliders.

Gerald J.
diceman
Posted 2/14/2013 22:19 (#2900001 - in reply to #2899824)

Iowa
I don't think people have things bid apples to apples. And I mean thickness of steel. paint, lumber treatment. And I am sure if it was better to put paper thin steel (29 guage) on Morton would do it. I am guessing that is one of the driving factors in the price difference and if there isn't a substantial price difference I would question how much profit the lester, wick, amish guy is profiting off the guy that doesn't look at those things. Because to from what i am understanding there is basically 3 major components LUMBER, STEEL, LABOR. Looks like the difference between a 1/2 ton and a 3/4 ton!!!!!!
robot
Posted 10/9/2014 09:36 (#4116827 - in reply to #2898086)

I would not recommend buying a Lester Building at all, no matter how much cheaper they might be. I bought one and just weeks ago had to pay an Amish Crew to come in and fix the mistakes and poor workmanship on it. I paid Lester Bldgs. extra for them to install dripstop on the house portion, but they shorted me on that. I also paid them extra for them to install 3/4" plywood to be installed on all exterior walls, but again they shorted me and they incorrectly engineered the exterior of my bldg.
I dealt mainly with the Lester Bldgs. Regional Manager who provided me with a Lester Bldgs. Dealer/Builder from out of state saying he did "Good Work", which turned out to be a lie. This Lester Bldgs. Dealer/Builder came in and built my bldg. in less than 10 days and left town, but before he did he advised me that if he had to come back for anything it would be a $500 minimum. Just weeks later we had our first rain, at which time I noticed I had 25 leaks in my roof, I had puddles all over inside my bldg. Well, I wasn't going to pay this Lester Dealer to come back and fix his mistakes so I fixed them myself and what I found was that he had installed the roof screws missing the roof purlins. It took me 2 days to fix this.
It took me 2 years to finish and move into my Lester Bldg at which time we started noticing more serious problems, to the point where I finally called in an Amish Crew to check out my bldg. who found several problems, but before I paid them to fix my Lester Bldg. I first called out the Lester Bldgs. Regional Manager and asked him for help. This Manager was shocked at my bldg. problems, but after he spoke with Lester Bldgs. Upper Management he told me that Lester Bldgs. doesn't feel any responsibility for what they called my bldg. problems and my one year warranty is up and will not be helping me. I at that point paid the Amish Crew to come in and fix my Lester Bldg. and the following is what they found: 8 roof purlins not nailed at all, they actually pulled one up and out to show me, which would explain why on windy nights it sounded like my roof was going to blow off. A lot of the soffit only had one staple holding it on and when the staples tried going thru the steel they bent only allowing 3/8" to go into the facia board, which would explain the rattling we were hearing. Lester also used vented soffit on the gable ends which should have been solid. Gaps/Openings in my roof valleys where wind was blowing in and had blown my attic insulation away in those areas, cold wind was finding its way into my furnace plentum/duct work, rain had to be coming in too. Facia boards barely on the trusses and nails missing the truss, we had to sister nailers on the sides of some trusses. Facia cover not cut to fit properly causing the ends to dip down an inch. 2 bird blocks not installed, but the ones that were installed were not nailed at all, I personally screwed every one of them off myself.
After I turned Lester Buildings into the Better Business Bureau they responded to the complaint by putting most of the blame on their Lester Buildings Dealer/builder, you know, the one they recommended to me. This Lester Dealers name is C&C Construction, Willis Childers is his name and he definitely did poor workmanship on my bldg., but Lester Bldgs. is who recommended him to me and it is their Dealer and also Lester Bldgs. is who shorted me on dripstop and 3/4" plywood and incorrectly engineered the exterior of my bldg., but they feel no responsibility for what they call "My Bldg. Issues", and with that in mind I would not recommend anyone buying one of their buildings.
Showtime
Posted 3/13/2018 14:37 (#6639421 - in reply to #2898086)

N.W. Ohio
Mortan is more money --- But we are 1 of the ones that got a new roof 19 years later cause the paint was flaking. Semi showed up and dropped off metal and Mortan crew came and had it switched out in a day and there we go.. Brand new roof no questions asked on a 48 x 90. It was nice to have that.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)