AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Finally got the banjo hose
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

WYDave
Posted 6/22/2006 13:18 (#21299)
Subject: Finally got the banjo hose

Wyoming

Deutz substituted a new hose that was 50% steel line, 50% hose, better banjo fittings on it.

When I was changing the hose, I was cussing so bad, I turned the air blue. Those Deutz engineers.... grrr. They put one end of the hose down behind the fuel rack in such a tight place, you can't get in there with your hand, only a socket on the end of a flex on a 12"+ extension. So, of course, while you're taking that end off, (and putting it back on), you drop the copper washer that has to go against the block a few times. You can tell looking at this ridiculous design that they never thought of changing that hose in the field. The hose is bolted onto the block, then the fuel rack is bolted onto the engine, then the hose is bolted to the rack, then the fuel pump goes on, then the hoses go on the fuel pump.

Then they put the other end on the fuel rack within 1/16'ths of the fuel pump. So, since you can't get a wrench on the bolt for that end, you have to pull the fuel pump off. And in all cases of fasteners on the fuel rack, they're not quite a 10mm hex, they're oh-so-slightly less than 10mm, and soft as butter, so using a 10mm open-end wrench starts to round the hexes off. And they're just a little too large for a 9mm hex socket too.

Did I miss something and the Germans adopted the Whitworth system after the war or something?

I've decided that people are justified for wanting to throttle engineers.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)