AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Painting/Clear coating a tractor
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

bakerna4
Posted 2/4/2013 15:01 (#2874423)
Subject: Painting/Clear coating a tractor

Waldron, MI
My winter project has been repainting our 4020. It's gotten more indepth than I intended when I started but it's going to turn out nice. I started out by sandblasting the entire tractor then had to do some body work on a few areas, mostly the fenders. Added some body filler and then sanded the sheet metal down with 220 grit sandpaper. I used John Deere Buff Primer Sealer for a primer on everything and then wet sanded the hood and side panels, basically anything I want to really shine, with 600 grit paper.

Next on to the first coat of John Deere green. I'm using John Deere Paint and the Valspar hardner they sell with John Deere thinner. My plan is to wet sand the green with 1000 grit and then give it a second coat of green, then a clear coat. This is the first major project I have done although I have done a fair amount to painting before just not trying to get the results I am this time. So I'm doing a lot of research along the way and trying to figure out how to go about the clear coat, and I am finding some conflicting advise. One place says to apply the clear coat right after the final coat of green while it's still wet and put about 3 - 5 coats of clear on 10 minutes apart. Another sourse says to let the color coat dry and then wet sand it and then put the clear on. What's your advice? What is the best way to finish this project? Do I add a hardner to the clear coat? After the clear coat I plan on wet sanding with 1500 and then 2000 grit paper and buffing the finish from there. Here's some pics of what I have so far.

(4020 - 1.jpg)

(4020 - 2.jpg)

(4020 - 3.jpg)

(4020 - 4.jpg)

(4020 - 5.jpg)

(4020 - 6.jpg)

(4020 - 7.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 4020 - 1.jpg (87KB - 830 downloads)
Attachments 4020 - 2.jpg (93KB - 768 downloads)
Attachments 4020 - 3.jpg (35KB - 794 downloads)
Attachments 4020 - 4.jpg (43KB - 833 downloads)
Attachments 4020 - 5.jpg (38KB - 793 downloads)
Attachments 4020 - 6.jpg (81KB - 841 downloads)
Attachments 4020 - 7.jpg (41KB - 764 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)