AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pull behind box scrapers
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

SamsDad
Posted 12/6/2007 19:27 (#254082)
Subject: Pull behind box scrapers

Western EC Iowa
I have some places that need some dirt work and would rather not hire someone. I need to scrape off the edge of some waterways where the water is not able to get in, fill in some draws, level off some rough areas where olds sites have been buried, grade driveways, etc... Is this an easy tool to use? When I go into a dip will it gouge, or conversely when coming out of a dip raise up and dump the load? Here is a link of one that looks well built by Westendorf - http://www.loaders.com/aspx/Product/Default.aspx . Anything to look out for? Looking for ideas, if there is a better option, that is fine too, I am open to suggestions. Thanks, Ben
Top of the page Bottom of the page
rdgrnblueguy
Posted 12/6/2007 19:43 (#254104 - in reply to #254082)
Subject: RE: Pull behind box scrapers

Iona, Mn
I borrowed a neighbors this summer and really liked it. It was a 10' Westendorf. I used it to smooth out where i had a tile line plowed in through the yard and also for leveling dirt off on some landscaping around a new machine shed. They work excellent.

Pretty sure you'd be happy with it for all your intended uses except the blading the driveway. It works best in loose soil where you wanna take a lil here and put over there while filling in low spots on the way.

I have one on order now. Am very happy with how it worked for me.

Goodluck in your decision!
jedeka
Posted 12/6/2007 19:50 (#254107 - in reply to #254082)

Boone, Iowa
I have a Big Dog scraper and really like it. They have several models.
Skipper
Posted 12/6/2007 19:52 (#254112 - in reply to #254082)

I think you'll like it for what you describe and you will find a lot of other uses to. They will gouge and dump some over deep ditches or big humps but you can reduce this by raiseing or lowering with the hydraulics. They are not a real aggresive tool for digging hard dirt and the waterway thing will get messed up somewhat with the sod but nothing is going to work good there without discing or something first. They do really good job finishing a waterway or any construction site and can't be beat for road grading(well a maintainer might). For best results, on the road thing especially, the hydraulic tilt works good. They are very easy to run.
SamsDad
Posted 12/6/2007 20:38 (#254148 - in reply to #254104)

Western EC Iowa
Thanks for the replys guys. Can I ask what the 10 ft model costs? I really have no idea. Did you get the hydraulic tilt? Also, the hp requirements seem like a lot. Would a 4020 or 1755 Oliver handle the 10 ft model? Thanks again, Ben
Chadalliac
Posted 12/6/2007 20:46 (#254158 - in reply to #254112)

north central Missouri
We have a 12 foot and a 4020 is the cats meow on it been building terraces this fall and follow up the dozer with it to help smooth things out worked great except it started snowing this morning and got a little chilly and wet on the 4020 had to hook it to the 7510 to finish up this afternoon.

Chad
rdgrnblueguy
Posted 12/6/2007 21:04 (#254176 - in reply to #254148)

Iona, Mn
#1....Northside of 3
#2...Yes
#3...Those 2 will play with it.

E-mail is in profile if you have more ?'s
Skipper
Posted 12/6/2007 21:08 (#254178 - in reply to #254148)

Tractorhouse.com has 10's&12's listed new for 29 something to $3250. Thickness of material they are made out of determines the quality usually. Pick one thats got good bracing where the toungue fastens or goes through the front bar. For no more difference in price I would consider the 12' unless you have driveways narrower than 12'. Traction is more of an issue than hp so just cut as deep as you can pull.

The only addition I would like on ours is scarficer(sp) shanks.
astoller
Posted 12/6/2007 21:35 (#254200 - in reply to #254082)

we have pulled one of these to lay back surface ditches and field boundarys. will make a 7120 w/mfd work. this scraper will dig http://www.farmdrainage.com/box_scraper.htm
zeebad1
Posted 12/6/2007 21:54 (#254211 - in reply to #254082)
Subject: Re: Pull behind box scrapers

Northern Illinois
These are good ones...

http://www.kuntzequipment.com/speedmover.html

Put hundreds of hours on a Deere 8320 with a super duty 12' w/tilt & scarifier. Great for building waterways & berms. Best tool I know of for smoothing out the gravel around the farm.

Oliver1
Posted 12/7/2007 02:06 (#254349 - in reply to #254082)

Alton, Ia
We have a 10' Westendorf. Works great for leveling out and making it smooth. If you really want to move alot of dirt, buy or rent yourself a soil mover type unit. But if you're just moving a little, and then want to level it off, get a box scraper. When you make the first passes, we have it set a little above "level", to knock off the high spots. Then keep adjusting it until you get to "level", and then just make a few passes over your site. Smoother than you'll get it with anything else, except for fancy laser planes, etc. Yes, it will gouge when you go over sharp changes, but you'll get the hang of adjusting the wheels as you're going. Just drive slow, it's not a race.

Ours is built plenty heavy. I actually wanted a 12', but got this at an auction. As to tractor size, it's more a matter of traction. You build up a yard plus of dirt in front of the blade a light tractor will just spin out. We have used an Oliver 550 (3300 #, 41 HP) a couple times, for finish grading, and it worked very well.

I bought mine for a project, intended to sell it when done. After having it, we'll be keeping it for a long time. It's just one of them things you'll be glad you have.
Pete1468
Posted 12/7/2007 18:14 (#254820 - in reply to #254148)

Norhtwest Iowa
I just happen to be a Westendorf dealer, drop me an email and I can look up the price for you. Thanks, Pete
Westendorf
Posted 1/2/2008 12:11 (#273601 - in reply to #254082)

Here is a direct link to the Landscraper page
http://www.loaders.com/aspx/Product/Default.aspx?productid=96

All I can say is our customers really like them. Common reply is, "the move versatile piece of equipment I've ever purchased."

Edited by Westendorf 1/2/2008 12:13
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)