AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

4910 Packer Crank Instilation
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Art Swannack
Posted 6/22/2006 00:24 (#21178 - in reply to #20919)
Subject: RE: 4910 Packer Crank Instilation

Just happened to have put one in by myself this spring. Take all the paint off the journals and ends before you put it in. It was a pain to remove the little bit left I hadn't removed. Then slide it into the machine. I used a cherry picker. Next, rotate it so the crank arm is down on the right side and slide it into the bearing hole and slot in the right verticle channel. If you don't have the arm down, you won't have enough room to raise the left end up. What I did next requires a cable come along. Pull the cable out and go under the crank with the cable. Hook it to the bottom left loop on the big gearbox. Take the ratchet end and hook over the top plate which holds the stuffer straps (the ones you can adjust for flake thickness at top rear next to the plunger). You should end up with a cable sling going from the gearbox to the front of the plunger area. Now crank the cable come along and it will lift the crank for you. When you get to the top the tip of the crank may easily go over into the channel or not. Watch for the middle mount (that holds the arm which attaches to the packer finger) as it was interfering when I put mine in. A little twist of the crank and I was able to then pry the crank/rubber mallet it into the slot. After that, carefully lower the crank with the come along and everything else was pretty straight forward. Had to make a couple of bigger spacer washers for the right end, as my old style crank had a smaller shaft size on the right end. I also used the new bearing blocks on both ends, helps to keep the channel from cracking.

Good Luck
Art
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)