AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ez-Boom and dual lines
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

crh
Posted 12/1/2007 10:49 (#250291 - in reply to #250162)
Subject: RE: Ez-Boom and dual lines

I worked for Farmscan (perth au) for several years here in the US. They had ABS (autoboom shutoff, section control, smart boom, ez boom, smart section control, accu spray) or what ever name one uses to describe the ability to control the entire boom by shutting off a section once it crosses an area which has already been sprayed. They were doing this in AU many years before anyone in NA even caught on to the idea.

Another feature they offered to customers in AU, which has still not caught on here is the use of twin line controllers. The only company that came close to the concept was Ag Chem many years ago when they attempted VR liquid application using the Terra Gator. They used a 3 nozzle configuration and pneumatic valves to select the proper nozzle for the speed vs rate that would do the best.

Farmscan includes a feature on almost all of their rate controllers where by the use of two lines & two different nozzel sizes can be used to cover a very broad speed range vs the limited range you get when using just one line and one nozzel. For example if you had a boom setup on 20in centers with 8006's and you wanted to spray at high speeds 10gpa (14 to 20mph) @ lets say a target of 35psi we all know that probably when you slow down for a H2O way, irrigation track, washout, or to make a turn the pressure will drop causing the nozzel patterns to fail and once the pressure drops so far they will stop spraying. Of course this counterd by the US controllers be able to enter a min spray, min flow, or min speed to counter this issue and keep the boom spraying even if you are over applying by some unbelievalble amount. I know anyone who sprays knows all of this and my numbers were "for example" and I did not pull them directly from the nozzel charts but, I am sure all will get my drift.

TWIN LINE, take that same boom on 20in centers and now run a second line and put it on 20in centers however, stagger it by 10in which now give you a boom on 10in ctrs but, with dual lines. Example line A gets 8002's and line B gets 8010's. With a controller that has the smarts to choose A or B and even A+B on the go the you don't have to plug in any of those fudge factors which cause over application at slow speeds and also does not have to jack the pressure sky high to achieve target rates at high speeds. The controller selects best line for speed or pressure your choice to achieve target rate. Twin line will require addition section control valves, additional plumbing, and wiring but, now you don't need a triple or quad nozzle body to act as an expensive and fancy way to store extra nozzles plus bottom line is you can only use ONE AT A TIME.

Eight years ago Autoboom shutoff was unheard of in the country and I along with a few others said this will be big business when NA catches on from down under and today look who all offers this feature. The same will happen with twin line once it is really understood and growers see the value of the concept. US mfg's of rate controllers and sprayers will only offer the product when the market demands it just as they did with the Autoboom craze.

I used Farmscan as an example and I do not work for them. I am sure there are other companies that offer similar products.

CRH
Rick Heard
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)