AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

EZ-Steer vs. Auto-Pilot Accuracy
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

DG N. AL
Posted 11/27/2007 17:21 (#247041 - in reply to #246845)
Subject: RE: EZ-Steer vs. Auto-Pilot Accuracy

Hillsboro, AL

My critics will come out and I will get flamed for this but here goes.

There are very few situations where you can take full advantage of the RTK level of accuracy without using an integrated steering system.  I am not attacking  Leica when I say this.  I am happy to see Leica in the market.  We need the competition.  But Leica is new and they have a lot of catching up to do.  I think in some cases (track tractors for instance) they are connecting directly via CAN.  They can acheive a much higher degree of repeatability using RTK with the ezsteer on other platforms, but they are still limited by the mechanical limitations of the ezsteer.  There is a place for their product in the market.  But as they have admitted, they are not trying to compete with the high end market at this point.

The "electric motor on the steering wheel solutions" have their place.  They work better at lower ground speeds.  But as ground speed increases  they have problems.  As the application becomes more difficult, the integrated systems start to shine.  The EZ-500 will help some in your situation because of the faster communication rate.

As to your striptill question, RTK will give the repeatability needed.  IF you are on flat ground, the Ezsteer many give you enough accuarcy to stay on the strips at planting speeds (5 mph).  But that is a very generalized statement.  There are many factors that affect that.  Is the planter pull type of mounted?(how much will implement drift be a factor)  How wide are the strips?(how much room you have to play with).  You are going to have some error that will be introduced making the strips.  You will have more error introduced planting.  You have to determine how much error you can tolerate in your application.  Even with RTK, I do not feel like you will be happy with the EZsteer on your sprayer trying to follow your striptill rows.

My opinions based on my experience....... 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)