AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Variable rate corn seeding
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Jason Hinson
Posted 11/26/2007 19:50 (#246255 - in reply to #245846)
Subject: Re: Variable rate corn seeding

Kingston, Iowa
Last year was our first year variable rate planting. We are using a Rawson setup controlled with a PF3000. Most fields have 5yrs of corn data & 5yrs of bean data.

Like Darin, we have some fields that are fairly consistent. At this point I don't think we could justify the variable rate if it was on these fields alone. A large portion of our acres are river bottom. Soil types in some of those fields range from blow sand to gumbo. I didn't get real crazy changing rates, lows of 20K on the sandiest of sand and highs of 35K on the best dirt. Would have planted a 32000 rate before variable rate.
Another place I see potential, is on a irrigated sand farm. By just dropping population on the dry corners, we saved the owner $1200 dollars in seed. As seed costs escalate the savings will only be more substantial.

Results this year are mixed. We were blessed with almost ideal growing conditions, exception being too much rain at one time the first part of July.
Areas of the field that I lowered population on yielded well, but probably would have taken advantage of a higher population. Of course I also wouldn't have had the higher planted pops on the good areas had we not been variable rating.

We did have one problem. The SCV on the drive motor circuit was slowly going bad. It wasn't enough to trip the monitor but was enough to sporadically cause skips. It didn't amount to a lot of loss, but not something that you like to see.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)