AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Thank you guys
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

djohnhill
Posted 11/28/2007 12:40 (#247825 - in reply to #246994)
Subject: RE: Can you expand upon Aeris???

Australia
Some answers

1) Aeris is the cell carrier. You haven't heard of them because they specialize in machine and fleet applications and this is why we chose them. They have roaming agreements with 40+ other carriers the major one being sprint. If we need coverage in an area where they don't have it, they can negotiate a new roaming agreement with the local carrier in 3 weeks. For more information and coverage maps go to www.aeris.net.

2) Leica has a distributon agreement with Aeris so we will be offering the dataplans not Aeris. No pricing is released as yet. If you look at the Sprint or AT&T data plans it will give you an idea of the cost targets.

3) I wouldn't try to setup your own CORS network. This is complicated stuff and expensive to maintain as many ag dealers are now finding. I recommend you hook into your local private or DOT network. While many private RTK networks are "Continously Operating Reference Stations" (CORS), they are simple, single point, overlapping baseline stations and are not true "networked" reference stations as deployed by DOTS and have few failsafes. Most are also not remotely monitored for failure either.

4) If you want your own 'fixed' reference station consider option #2 in my last post. While you don't get the coverage of the CDMA cell network you also don't have the monthly dataplan costs. A 900mhz antenna at 1w on top of an elevator will give you surprisingly good coverage... but them again I don't know what your terrain looks like.

I hope this helps.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)