AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

When to harvest rye
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Robert in NY
Posted 6/18/2006 13:27 (#20336)
Subject: When to harvest rye

I know hay and the moisture levels for baling but what about grains? Is there a set level you want to be at to harvest? There is a local guy who has 7 acres of rye and wants me to harvest and bale the straw. I have no idea when to harvest it as I am learning as I go on this. I was not looking for any work harvesting this year but the custom guys told him to talk to me about it as they don't want to waste time on a small field like that. What should I watch for to know when to harvest? As I said, I know hay and it is easy to see when to harvest the hay but I have never been around grains like oats and rye to know when to harvest.

Also, I have been looking at the Farmex MT-16 moisture tester and it seems like it will do what I want. So far all I have to deal with is corn, rye and oats so is the MT-16 a decent unit for giving me a rough idea the moisture levels? The elevator is 25 minutes away so I would rather not have to drive out there each time I want to test a sample.

One more question, they guy who wants me to harvest the rye wants to store it in grape bins. The bins are lined with a heavy plastic and the only air will be at the top of the 4x4x4 bin. Wouldn't the rye mold in this type of storage if left for any amount of time?

Thanks guys.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)