AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

farming along Route 66...the Mother Road
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

jcs
Posted 12/4/2012 15:47 (#2732759 - in reply to #2731950)
Subject: RE: farming along Route 66...the Mother Road

Oklahoma
The short video at the 1:13 mark is main street of my home town, Chandler, OK I live an 1/8 mile off hwy 66. Not much farming left in the area though, mostly all hay and beef cattle since dairy has left the area. The 1;15 mark shows the round barn at Arcadia which is kind of neat. Alot of folks will mention stopping at Pop's in Arcadia also, if you want to try some off the wall soda pop, it is worth a stop but I can't say that I would eat there again. If you just want gas and a sandwich, about 4 miles west of Chandler there is a country store that kind of reminds me of how stores were when I was little, gas, groceries, bait, deer check-in, and a meat counter where they make sandwichs for a couple bucks and then in the back there is a few tables where the locals will hang out. When I was a kid it seemed like there were lots of those type places up and down the road but this is the only one I know of anymore.

Hwy 66 all the way from Tulsa to OKC is good road, most has been repaved, some is on the original 66 and some places you will see where they have moved it a little.

If you aren't looking to just see crops, in OKC there is Oklahoma National Stockyards, Monday is their big draft day. We have taken some friends there mainly to eat at Cattlemens but then take them over to walk the catwalk there. At one time I think it was the largest stocker auction in country and sold 4 days a week. Cowboy Hall of Fame in OKC is interesting also. If you are coming in Jan, Enid Farm Show which is small but would get you off 66 and more into cropland country. Not sure of the weekend there though.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)