AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Integra Versa logging a product but not controlling it
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 12/4/2012 07:15 (#2731920 - in reply to #2731781)
Subject: Re: Integra Versa logging a product but not controlling it

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I agree with the above that a module will be needed.

Somewhat along these lines, I worked with a customer who wanted to "spot" apply Soygreen or products of that type while planting soybeans. They wanted this to be done automatically based on an Rx map that they created before planting with SMS.

They felt that the Soygreen would be effective in some areas and not others. In a sense this was a Variable Rate situation but the rates would really just be ON or OFF.

Since their planter had a ground drive system for applying starter fertilizer for corn, they wanted to utilize the tanks, ground drive pump etc. for the spot application of the Soygreen when planting soybeans.

The scheme we came up with was to use Ag Leader's Direct Command for liquid. A flowmeter was installed in the product line which would monitor the flow rate of whatever product was being applied (starter for corn or Soygreen for soybeans). There was no control valve as the rate of the product was determined by the stroke setting of the ground driven pump.

A three-way valve was installed in the product line ahead of the flowmeter. This three-way valve would direct the flow to the flowmeter and eventually to the ground in the "ON" position but deliver the product back to the tank in the "OFF" position. This meant that the product was actually being pumped around in a circle when planting but not applying.

The Soygreen was mixed with a water in the correct ratio so that a 5 gallon/acre rate would result in applying the recommended rate of Soygreen. 5 GPA was chosen as this was the rate that they typically use with starter fertilizer so the pump/plumbing etc would work nicely with that value.

The Rx map was created with two rates - 0 and 5 gallons/acre. When in an area where the Rx called for 5 GPA, the systen woudd respond by turning the three-way valve to direct the product to the ground. When in an area where the Rx called for 0 GPA, the three-way valve would direct the product back to the tank. The stroke setting on the pump was set to deliver the 5 GPA. The Direct command system would be monitoring the product flow and attempting to control it but the control circuit would have no effect as it was not connected.

Some extension of this scheme might be used with a dry fertilizer rig. To be "automatic" the system would need some way to start/stop the application.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)