AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Is there a dairy cow doctor in the house?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

sweetcorn70
Posted 12/2/2012 21:09 (#2729425 - in reply to #2728689)
Subject: RE: Is there a dairy cow doctor in the house?

I am going to agree and disagree with the other posters. I agree that you should get a vet out first thing tomorrow to take a look at her. Her milk stopping tells you something is wrong.

I disagree with it being an LDA. When we have a cow with an LDA, she generally doesn't have any manure upon rectal palpation. It is also pretty rare to have an LDA more than a month or maybe two at the most after calving.

When you say a half a bucket of corn, does that mean you give her a 5 gallon bucket of corn every day or is it a smaller bucket? That seems like a lot to me but that isn't really my department.

Have you checked her for mastitis? You say her ears aren't hot, are they cold? Cold ears are an indicator of low calcium, as well as turning her head backwards and/or muscle spasms. Does she have a temperature?

If this were my cow I would:
A.)ping her to check for a DA
B.)temp her
C.)check for ANY type of abnormal milk in any quarter.
D.)do a tent test to check for dehydration, just because that is part of what I do when I check out a cow.
If all of the above check out ok and if that left side is really bloated I would be inclined to try tubing her(like you are drenching her) to see if I got a bunch of gas and if I did I would drench her with rumen-ease or I think mineral oil would do the same thing. I would also stop giving her corn(she may not be eating it anyway?) and put her on the best damn hay I could. It seems like when they won't eat anything if you give them some real good alfalfa they will at least nibble if not eat a good bit of it. Also, some magna lax pills wouldn't hurt.

Without seeing the cow, I would put my money on something other than a DA but I could be wrong. A good vet worth his salt will charge a lot less than that dead cow is worth so I would call him first thing tomorrow, or tonight if you can stand it and have that kind of relationship.

Let us know what you find out.

Mike
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)