AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Is there a dairy cow doctor in the house?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Sodbustr
Posted 12/2/2012 14:26 (#2728689)
Subject: Is there a dairy cow doctor in the house?

Western Iowa

My wife has a milk cow, she milks it a few times a week and she has 2 calves on her otherwise. She 2nd lactation and a full blood Jersey I believe.

She calved July 17th. We hand feed her corn a couple times a day and some alfalfa grass mix from square bales and free choice on some pretty decent grass hay. Most days she gets a 5 gallon bucket or two of corn silage that I steal off the end of my feeder cattle bunks. I think the 2 calves eat as much of it as she does.

Here in the last week she has been noticably less interested in feed, usually she about runs you over when you come with a 1/2 bucket of corn, but not now, doesn't seem to eat any at all. 4 days ago her milked stopped. When the wife locks off the calves at night and milks her the next morning it is a steady 2 1/2-3 gallons a milking. Calves have been off for 4 days now.

Her left side looks a bit 'bloated'. She is getting fairly skinny since having the calf, but maybe I am used to looking at beefers

She must be still getting water as she is still peeing what looks like about normal. She is only pooping a little and when she does it is not watery but runny and there is whole corn in it. Seems like she is stopped up a bit or she isn't digesting right or ????

Cow acts like she doesn't feel well, but will get up and her ears don't feel warm. Now wife doesn't feel well worrying about cow so I thought someone on here would have some advise, we would both appreciate it!

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)