AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Looking Into building a garage and living above.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Yoosta B
Posted 12/2/2012 20:03 (#2729260 - in reply to #2728456)
Subject: Re: Looking Into building a garage and living above.

You don't mention your family situation. 1000 square feet may seem adequate- but try to get a cross-section view before you decide. On that dormer side, you'll have floor space, but not much head space.

I wouldn't be so happy about my guests coming up the stairs and greeted by the bathroom and possible 'scenarios'. If it's just you and your Other, then consider flipping the plan to put the bath at the other end, or maybe where the Dining space is now- perhaps connect with the Master Bedroom. The other bedroom could go where the bath is now- much reduced- and be an office/ Sewing Room/ Guest Room.

You'll have to insulate the heck out of the floor- maybe even do some extra framing to get enough depth for adequate insulation.

I see you're in MN, but don't see a good way to air-lock the entry. Every time someone opens the garage walk-in door, an icy blast will come whooshing up those stairs. What will you do with muddy/snowy boots, coats, etc.? May want to consider clipping the corner of the garage W.C., put the door at an angle, then build a closet in next to that bath. Maybe even make downstairs bath big enough for a shower. That first bay may then be only good for compact car/ATV/ snowmobile/ shop space, but you and/or SWMBO may like keeping the dirtiest clothes downstairs.

If you don't need space for 3 cars, maybe wall off that first bay for recreational/mudroom space.

How old are you? How many years will you be 'up' for the climb?

What about the site? Is there a possibility of a walkout deck, which would stretch the floor space?

Maybe you're already considering the same flooring throughout the Living/Dining/Kitchen space to make it feel bigger.

Just some crazy ideas. You will know best what's right for you.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)