AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Why no universal health care
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Redman
Posted 12/3/2012 20:17 (#2731249 - in reply to #2728270)
Subject: Re: The benifit of having young friends

SW Saskatchewan
My wife was a teacher and had wonderful health coverage(supplementary in Canada) that covered things like dental,optometrists, chiropractors,massage therapy, prescription drug, etc , etc..plus family coverage.

Possible because at the time teachers were YOUNG, they could let a few old timers into the system without boosting the rate too much. When she retired she could transfer to the superannuated teachers plan with less coverage(what is the age of superannuates?) and larger payments because it was no longer govt sponsored.

But by that time I was on the local municipal council and could buy into their group plan with better benefits and a lower cost than the teachers were offering(because the municipal workers in the plan were a lot younger than me). So we were covered from there until I decided I had better things to do. Was able to continue with the company at lesser benefits and higher cost but pre-existing conditions were no barrier.

One of the downsides of being in a plan with younger people is that these plans give better coverage for orthodonty than false teeth!

But he cost of this supplemental coverage is now 2100.00$/yr for me and my wife. Next year we will both be on the seniors drug plan here in SK and the cost of a COVERED prescription will be limited to $20.00/prescription. But more and more drugs are not covered-my wife takes medicine for osteoporous and it is not covered(76.95$ month) I have a $15.00 a month drug not coverd but the $10000.00/month drugs are generally covered. Have made a major claim for ambulance service but that is also subsidized for seniors-may drop the supplemental then.

i can't get life insurance because of distal neuropathy(not disease related) but I can get supplemental US health coverage for traveling in the US for less than 4.00$/day, my wife is over $6.00/day because she takes ventolin.

Basically, it is coverage to get stabilized and air-evacuated to Canada.

Would be a wonderful world if we could stay young forever.

And yes, our health care it is not free but it is just like US crop insurance-spreads the risk over a larger group and carries a subsidy(taxpayer) ingredient. our contribution-last year we paid over $10,000.00 sales tax on our motor home and Jeep. It all comes out in the wash, but unlike a health emergency, I can time our purchases to a time when we camn afford it.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)