AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Why no universal health care
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Ed Boysun
Posted 12/2/2012 09:40 (#2728270 - in reply to #2728169)
Subject: Re: Why no universal health care

Agent Orange: Friendly fire that keeps on burning.

One other thing that often gets overlooked when discussing insurance rates and coverages is the benefits of being in a group. Businesses with a big enough workforce, like schools, highway department, county workers, hospitals, and I guess in places where large labor unions exist, can negotiate a considerable better rate than an individual farmer. I often think of myself as a lonely antelope on the savannas of Africa, surrounded by hungry lions as I'm shopping for coverage as an individual. Throw in a mention of diabetes and even the lions won't eat you because your money has a sour taste. The hospitals, and doctors, and labs, and pill companies will dine on your carcass if you happen to become sick though. If you happen to get everything spent and are still alive, I guess you could take some comfort in knowing that you won't suffer too much longer because life prolonging treatments are going to dry up.
This group rate discount is a big enough deal that the local school district started to offer the chance to buy in with their group if you would agree to serve on the board. I have to admit it looked kinda tempting, but having done some time in that job before, I decided the pleasure wasn't worth the pain and just continued to pay the "Lonely Antelope" rate until I made Medicare age.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)