AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New computer build. Chimel thought you might want to see this.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Chimel
Posted 11/30/2012 19:25 (#2725584 - in reply to #2725474)
Subject: Re: New computer build. Chimel thought you might want to see this.

Well 90% of the performance gain is easy peasy, it's the last 10% to be perfect that counts (and costs!)
But I agree, my main reason for using RAID is redundancy, not performance, so RAID 1 mirroring, not RAID 0 data striping.

EAckerman should be fine with RAID 0 and TRIM on his SSDs and Windows 7/8 if he has the latest Intel 7-Series chipset drivers. It's actually the only RAID TRIM configuration that would work, still no TRIM for RAID 1 or if you don't have the latest Z77/H77 chipset, for instance.

I don't even know why we should bother with this obfuscating TRIM command, it should be integrated into the SSD firmware or RAID hardware or software controllers, humans should not have to think about and perform manually SSD drive clean-up operations, that's what software is for. In normal computer usage, there are usually billions of idle disk time periods that could be used to perform this clean-up, but even for servers accessing data without a pause, not all SSDs or all blocks in a SSD are being accessed, so the idle ones could clean up their stuff if the SSD was designed for it.

For those who wonder what TRIM is:
TRIM - Totally Resolutely Idiotic Mambo-jambo

Edited by Chimel 11/30/2012 19:26
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)