AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Double crop Soybeans in Southern Kansas?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

SEK Farmer
Posted 6/18/2006 15:28 (#20357 - in reply to #20244)
Subject: Re: Double crop Soybeans in Southern Kansas?

Southeastern Kansas
Depending on how much herbicide you used on your wheat and how much rain you have had since will determine your choice of bean seed. We use 1\8 oz finesse in January and never have seen a problem but you are assumeing another risk by not useing STS. Before STS we always used conventional because that was all we had and only had one incident in several years. I use the same population as with first crop beans, 105-110,000. I know they say to increase the rates but with the expense of RR seed and getting them up before July 1 will show little difference in yields. I contend that the rainfall in the months to follow will have a greater effect on your yield than population. I also like to use a taller growing bean if available. Can't tell you on group # as we are east of you and use 5.7's , I know around Wichita some use #3 on first crop and #IV on double crop. Maybe your FSA or seed supplier could advise a bit. Usually it takes a shower to get them up to a good stand, the soil just dries out too fast that time of the year. Recent history in our country shows double crop equal to even better than first crop. Why, because the first crop are to big when it gets dry and use up all the moisture before bloom and pod set. In this case size doesn't always matter. We can insure our double crop but maybe that is because we have history. It is a gamble but what isn't.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)