AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

maybe lost a farm.... are land prices ever gonna go down??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

JohnDeereGreenWKY
Posted 11/28/2012 13:27 (#2721571 - in reply to #2721286)
Subject: Re: maybe lost a farm.... are land prices ever gonna go down??

West Ky
We have lost a good deal of our ground in the last 10 years before the run up in prices. We are down 1/2 of the ground that we used to farm just from a few years ago. We have a bunch of millionaire farmers here now that make millions doing other stuff and they sit on their bum and they need to park their money in something so they have taken up farming. We have even told our LL that if you even are thinking of selling let us know.. Does it work? Nope This one particular ground we had farmed for over 40+ years and one day they drove up and said we sold that ground to so and so. We were like WTF!! They even let the buyer have the shares off of it which was clear 1/3's and it was planted in corn at that!!! We have lost another big chunk here not to long ago on some marginal ground that went for 2x the amount that we thought it was worth with todays high prices to pay for it due to all the deep creeks with trees around it.

We have guys here that own almost 20k acres and rent more. These are not really big fields but average field size is around 100 acres with most fields being hilly with ditches. talked to some other farmers this past week that live 30-50 miles away and they talk about the greedy ones but their prices are still a couple of thousand an acre behind ours and they average much more yield due to it being better ground and it lays flat.

Everybody here is putting up irrigation pivots like it was nobody's business. We have had terrible weather here for several years in a row and I just don't see how anybody can pay for the ground on a 30 year note with the trend in yeilds have been for the last 5 years. Bean yeilds have been the same over the years but the prices have doubled but you would expect the price of ground to double instead it has risen 8x the value that it was just a few short years ago.

I see these other guys posting about how these auctions where the ground went for 6000, 7000 etc and the average aph of corn is 160. That is cheap my friend. I'm ready to move away from here and go their lol
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)