AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Getting MS to activate XP?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

RockyMtnKng
Posted 11/28/2012 09:31 (#2721252 - in reply to #2719974)
Subject: Re: Getting MS to activate XP?

Manson IA
Not sure what replacing a motherboard would do to help not being able to get on the internet.... Even if it was a bad on board NIC could just put in an expansion card or USB NIC....

But I would have to agree with others if it is an OEM Emachines copy of XP it won't install on a NON Emachines motherboard.... If you can get the old parts back put it back to the way it was and reload windows.

If that don't work throw it in the dumpster...

Off subject but reminds me of my recent experience with my daughter's "IT Department" at college... She called me up saying the HP laptop I gave her to use wouldn't turn on. After some over the phone troubleshooting figured out just the screen wasn't working. External VGA worked... So.... I got on ebay found a new chassis and had it shipped directly to her. Told her when it got there, have the IT guys just swap the hard drive and it should be good to go. Now my daughter is not very computer savy, but I figured any numbskull that claims to be an "IT Guy" or gal... Would be able to swap the drive and have her up and running... I was wrong.... She took the laptop and the new replacement chassis to them and then called me back and says it does the same thing... Me, obviously confused... Said "What?". She said "Ya, they swapped the hard drive, and it does the same thing.. They even swapped the screen...." Me now REALLY confused said "Why did they swap the screen, it didn't work?" Her "I dunno".... Anyway I THEN had her get the laptop to me via her mother. So after I got it back along with the other chassis I bought it was obvious the OLD non working screen was on my new from ebay supposedly good chassis. So I spent about 3 hours (as I had never done it before) swapping the screens back. Then putting the HDD into the "New" chassis as I had originally planned... And walla! it booted and perfect video! My moral of the story here is not all "IT People" are created equal. Some lack basic troubleshooting (common sense) skills that would make their and many other's lives a LOT easier.... Also, my daughter's computer will never go to the SDSU (South Dakota State University) IT group again....
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)