AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Do you have a microscope?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Gerald J.
Posted 11/26/2012 12:01 (#2718063 - in reply to #2717517)
Subject: The cameras I set up... + microscope sources

The cameras I set up for my dad when he had vision problems had a tiny set screw in the side of the lens mount. With that loosened the focus could be adjusted and that made it easy to enlarge things to fill the TV screen with a postage stamp. Otherwise their lenses tended to be wide angle shrinking the image. I made a parallel arm frame over a formica sink cutout to hold it vertical and allow changing the height of the camera.

For Pokey, Tek Surplus may have some binocular scopes on occasion. Last I checked they were open every other Tuesday at 2 PM for a couple hours. Maybe just two Tuesdays a month. Their on line instructions worked for me last year when I probably drove by his place. Another store to check would be Gizmos and Gadgets even closer to his place. I think there are a couple more small electronics surplus stores in the Portland area that have spazmodic hours. Then he can check them out before buying. University surplus is good. I bought my first one a vintage B&L vertical binocular scope with new eyepieces from the Des Moines distributor who also dealt in used instruments. Look up microscopes in the yellow pages. They told me puffs tissue were free of wood fiber and so very good for lens cleaning without scratching coatings. Since then I picked up a Stereozoom without eyepieces at ISU surplus store and after washing the tar out of the zoom mechanism, it works fine with the eyepieces of my older scope. I probably should find a new owner for the old binoclar scope but its harder to peddle without eyepieces. Last I looked at ISU surplus http://www.public.iastate.edu/~centrals/isusurplus_items.htm they had several microscopes for sale.

The science project replacement operation for Edmund Scientific also sells reasonably priced mono and binocular microscopes. I've had one of their 10x pocket monocular scopes for decades and with its graticule its really handy for measuring small hardware pieces. I don't remember the new operation's name but google should find it. Also industrial suppliers like McMaster-Carr and MSC have microscopes. New ones can be pricey though.

Gerald J.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)