AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

uninstalling windows 8 ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Chimel
Posted 11/30/2012 07:01 (#2724562 - in reply to #2717207)
Subject: Re: uninstalling windows 8 ?

@salexmo What I would try first is unplug the power cable from both computers, take out the Windows XP drive from the old computer, disconnect the data and power cables from the Windows 8 drive in the new computer, and connect them to the old XP drive if the connectors match. Then restart the machine to see if it would even boot from the old XP drive, which may not be possible if the drive requires new drivers.
If the computer boots from the XP drive, then it might be possible to create a multiboot system, where you would choose when you start up the computer if you want to boot from Windows XP (with all your installed programs and data) or Windows 8.
If it does not boot, try pressing the Del or whatever key launches the BIOS when you start up the computer, and try changing the hard drive mode to see if the computer would boot using one of the compatibility modes listed. There are usually different modes that may say IDE, SATA, AHCI, RAID or a combination.

Write down carefully everything you do on the computer.
I always have my home computers set up with two different versions of Windows on two separate drives, with a multiboot menu so I can start from the older disk in case a virus or hardware failure affects the main disk.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)