AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Does God help people financially?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Illinois John
Posted 11/25/2012 23:20 (#2717357 - in reply to #2716723)
Subject: RE: Does God help people financially?

Crawford County, Robinson, Illinois

Unit 2 - 11/25/2012 18:37 I teach a Sunday school class of older, mostly retired men. Most are retired farmers, several school teachers, and one or two business men. Today we got into a discussion if God helps individuals financially. Or in other words if we are wealthy, did we get that way on our own, maybe with help from other people, but God had nothing to do with it. What do some of you think? Let’s keep it civil please, so we don’t get chased to the Boiler Room.

I often repeat the lesson God taught me during the blight year, I think it was 1972.  I had been steadily improving my crop yields for over five years, and was proud of what a good farmer I had become.  Just before Thanksgiving, I finished harvest, and only had about a quarter of a bin full of poor quality corn, where I used to fill five bins sometimes being forced to take some to town to sell.  I was depressed for a couple of days, then realized God had taught me a very valuable lesson.  All those years of continuing to improve crop years were not because of me only, it was only because God sent rain and sunlight, and good quality seed decisions.  When I finally realized I had done everything possible to raise a crop, I knew I was not a failure, but the crop season was a failure.

I then realized all things in life are the same, we are to do our best and make the most of what we have and are given, whether it be farming or any other occupation.  Yes, God will help, but we have to do our best as well. 
It is a bit discourging to hear people talk about praying for something and then not investing any of their own effort in making it happen.  God helps those who help themselves, and also teaches us to be humble as well.

I really liked the country song from some years back, "Thank God For Unanswered Prayers".  If you haven't heard it, it was about a guy who went to a football game years after leaving high school, and seeing his old girlfriend who he prayed would be his wife.  He then realized that the wife he had was far superior to the old girlfiriend.  If our prayers are not answered, perhaps it is for our own good.  I try to always end prayers with "Gods will be done".      

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)