AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

livestock or machinery
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Tommy
Posted 11/26/2012 07:41 (#2717611 - in reply to #2716455)
Subject: RE: Machinery is just a necessary evil

Iowa
If you view machinery as a necessary evil (all it does is cost $$), you will go much further financially. Of course you have to have adequate machinery to get the job done, but if a tractor craps out you can have a different one tomorrow--so no sense having too much. The statement, " I've go to have more than enough in case more land comes along" is foolish for anyone with a tight budget and desiring more profit--I think the machinery dealers must have started that falsehood. If you're well-established, have cash and adequate profits/income--sure, why not, I guess.....

Livestock can make money. More livestock can make more money. A planter that's adequate makes money. More planter just costs, it doesn't make a dime. So if we assume limited funds and a desire for more income, more than adequate machinery adds NOTHING to your bottom line, it TAKES AWAY from it. More livestock has a chance for more profit.

More livestock in a heartbeat. But before that, a desk and calculator--which is the best "investment" of all.

PS I do not agree with Markright's "float the JD paper" at all--actually I'm vehemently against it--it's still a liability, and the piper still has to be paid.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)