AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pic of our winter wheat.........
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

swne
Posted 11/25/2012 13:55 (#2716089 - in reply to #2715837)
Subject: Re: Pic of our winter wheat.........

Cambridge, southwestern Nebraska
Yes, a lot of if's coming in the next 6 months. Less than 5% of our wheat is up. Any time I have had late emerging wheat it does not yield well at all. We have APHs in the 50-60 bu. range and if we got moisture now and everything was perfect from here forward I would not expect more than 30 bu. per acre. We've tried wheat under pivots late and with heavy seeding rates, fertilizer and water you can not make up for late emergence.
The problem with wheat and insurance is as long as there is a spear out there that spear will be considered able to put a head on with 20 kernals on it so if there is much out there at all the appraisal can be kind of high until it actually heads out and then given a fair appraisal.
My first thought has been to just let the wheat grow and harvest what we can or kill it off and leave it for cover after it is appraised. You could leave strips but you risk what those strips will yield.
Now, my thinking is leave it until spring and if the appraisal looks like it is not worth leaving we may very well destroy the wheat, collect half on it and plant corn. Not a practice that would normally work but you never know and then in the fall you can decide whether to collect the rest on the wheat or collect on the corn. A lot of guys thinking in that direction right now.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)