AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Shop Door Size???
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Channel Iron
Posted 11/25/2012 10:31 (#2715742 - in reply to #2714859)
Subject: RE: Shop Door Size???

EC Indiana
My father built a 60'x60'x17' shed in the late 70's and my grandfather complained and complained about what a waste of money that big of a building was. Then in the mid 90's our field cultivator started getting close if you backed it in with the skid steer on the 16' door. Just this year we bought a new to us combine with the crary big tops that stand up tall and they have to be laid down to get in the 16' tall door. As a result, my father who now needs a knee and hip replaced drove the combine to a barn I rent 5 miles away that is 18' tall every time I wasn't there to climb around in the hopper. I understand it gets exspensive but think about what everything is going to look like for your grandchildren. Will they not be doing something using a cultivator or drill that is 24' wide transport for example? I don't have a crystal ball. There is a balance that has to be found between cost and future usefulness.

Also, we are fortunate we have some ground very close to home and I am curently planning on a shop in a couple years and am planning on a door that a 40' head can get through. I am uptight about getting equipment wet I will admit but the number of tmes I have had water standing in my shoes because it rained so hard while I was setting the head off is aggravating, but as to what its worth it is hard to put a price on that. I appreciate everybodies input and agree, do what fits your operation with the unknown future in mind.

Also, I am planning on another side door that is more normal sized prolly 25'- 30' split slider so I do not have to use the giant door every time I want to get something bigger tha roll up door in.

Edited by Channel Iron 11/25/2012 10:35
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)