AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Whats wrong with this corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

rusty1
Posted 11/24/2012 16:07 (#2714437 - in reply to #2713702)
Subject: Re: Whats wrong with this corn

South Australia
Thanks for all the reply's I won't reply to them all individually but will make some comments.

To explain, we are in a winter predominant rainfall area and are relying on stored moisture plus hopefully a summer storm or two to pull this off. Normally there are no summer crops grown at all in my area but we are trying to add some diversity to our rotation. Hence the low population, last year we grew 72bu and we were stoked.
I have ruled out Group B herbicide damage, try not to use them unless I have to.
I suspect the cold soil in these areas is the issue along with the reduced microbial activity and assosiated effects of being wet in the winter. In hindsight adding some Zn to the liquid would have been a good thing also.
We haven't had much heat yet, normally by now we will be having plenty of days into the mid 30 degrees C but its been quite mild up til now, we are harvesting canola, wheat etc. and its taking a while to dry down.
Yes there was rainfall immediately after the urea was broadcast, but as mentioned the roots will take some time to find it.
I think adding fert coulters and placing fertiliser in a 2x2 would be perfect, If I continue on with this crop I will seriously look at going that way but in the short term couldn'y justify the investment for 120acres. I think my neighbors think I'm crazy enough owning a planter in this area.
As stated about about varieties, yes it is pioneer.

When I get a chance I will dig some plants up and maybe do a tissue test.

Thanks again for the responses, some hot weather this week may do the job.

Russell

Edited by rusty1 11/24/2012 16:08
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)