AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Silage Bag users, how do you load feed out of bag?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Oakwood
Posted 11/23/2012 14:42 (#2712617)
Subject: Silage Bag users, how do you load feed out of bag?

Manitoba
My silage bag experiments this year are not going well. This latest challenge is feeding out of them. Both the guys I have feeding have told me if I ever bag feed again they will quit. Seems no matter what we use / skid steer, wheel loader, bucket grapple, nothing works well and we end up taking all kind of time doing it and making a mess at the same time. it's a little better now that things have froze up (their on gravel) but not a lot better/still slow. for those with lots of experieince, how do you manage this issue and what works well or at least best.

on our piles we use a facer and just load out with a skid steer and bucket. works fine there but the bags are challenging us.

edit: should have mentioned it's haylage and a 10 ft bag. problem is they can't get a bucket full in a timely fashion and make a huge mess in the process. we tried the facer on the bag and that loosens it fine but only enough for a bucket or 2 before the facer is finished for that cut. on a pile the facer takes 6" all across the face so we have enough for the days loads, (8 a day or so) so we can hook it up once and it's done for the day. using it on the bag you'd have to use it 2 times per load as it just can't go deep without burying itself. all my corn silage is in piles.

trying to resurect an old manure grapple to see if it helps. I'm sure it's possible to do if your very good on the skidsteer but my feeders are not that person. I've got to find a way to make it easier, if it's not easy it's not going to happen regardless of whether it's possible or not.

Edited by Oakwood 11/23/2012 18:23
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)