AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Repairs that cost as much as the value of the piece?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

iseedit
Posted 11/23/2012 10:05 (#2712216 - in reply to #2712193)
Subject: RE: Repairs that cost as much as the value of the piece?

central - east central Minnesota -

Old Pokey - 11/23/2012 08:53

Just curious. Throw your own version of the situation in. I've read it many times over the years online about the division of thoughts on making the repairs even though they cost near what the current value is, vs. junking it and so called "upgrading". I'm not asking for advice as I will do what I wish anyway, but am curious to learn more of the thought process for making your decision to go either way.

In other words, do you focus on the current value of the piece you have, or do you look at the replacement cost and risk? What is it that makes you decide one way or the other as the piece you are familiar with is broken or in need of the expensive maintenance?

I run older equipment . . . I tend to repair, even though the repair (s) may cost more the the current value of the piece  . . .
I consider new replacement cost against the repairs . . . .  it's pretty easy to stick a bunch of money into repairing, when I see the cost of new.
750 grian drill is good example - the differences between what it does and the new 1590 does? I can stick a lot'ta money in the 750 for repairs to last the rest of my lifetime farming  . . . . . . It'll be just as reliable.
Recently rebladed and bearing'd a offset disk - cost as much as I payed for the disk . . . now it has the same value of those listed on tractor house, used like it. But compared to new - way, way cheaper to repair. Does the same job as new and is just as reliable . . .

Edited by iseedit 11/23/2012 10:07
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)