AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

NH3 and the Dot
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 11/22/2012 09:31 (#2710510 - in reply to #2708920)
Subject: Re: NH3 and the Dot

Chebanse, IL.....

billybob

I think I have that covered to stay within the letter of the law vs reasonable common sense & safety. What I said was, while accelerating from 0-24.9 mph, the SMV would be viewable. After surpassing the 25.0 mark, one would climb aboard the moving vehicle (tank in this case) and remove the SMV from sight, thereby insuring the safety of the motoring public. Because, here's the problem it can cause....if you're really pulling a tank @ 40 mph, and some kid comes up on you in a little car going 75 mph on a gravel road, he's going to lock up all 4 wheels (probably had the ABS system disabled to allow the "doughnut brakes" so popular today...) thinking that you were only going 25 mph and put his mostly plastic shrouded car in the ditch & cause great bodily harm. That would be how a cop would see the problem.

Personally, I see the SMV when displayed on a proper non-road trailer or farm implement as a way to warn ALL the motorists behind it that they're following something not normal. Something that can't stop on a dime. Something that can't really accelerate to pass another vehicle, something that may be turning into a 12' culvert in the middle of nowhere. That's what I think an SMV should do. I don't care if it's going 45 mph for a few mis, it's eventually going to wind up out in a dirt field to do the job it was intended. Again, I'm talking about SMVs on moving vehicles.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)