AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

tiling question 8" y into 2 6" tiles
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 11/21/2012 09:51 (#2709116 - in reply to #2708864)
Subject: Re: tiling question 8" y into 2 6" tiles

southern MN
Shouldn't matter, the riser will just flood out that spot if your tile runs full, water bubbles up....

If the 8 runs at more fall than the 6's do, you will have no problem.

In my area, things typically shallow out near the outlet, so we have lots of water coming down the small tiles, hit the mains and slow down on the shallow grades near the ditches. That's a problem....

If you have good grade on the 8, it will be just fine.

Is there more ground in the area that will someday be hooked up to the 8 inch main? _That_ is the concern, dad did the same when he started tiling, just concerned with what was being tiled today; then in 10 years, want to add more and no place to put the water. But the tile is there, so more gets added. And added.....

I have an 8 inch, 10 inch, and 15 inch main running within 50 feet of each other going in the same direction. 1950's, 1960's, 2010's. My pothole closest to the ditch been losing 3-5 acres of crop almost every year, that woulda paid for a lot bigger main a lot earlier. Basically the tile system moved water off one low spot into a different low spot, nothing really gained from the tile being there, no net gain. Dad, myself, or the neighbors, add on a string here and there every 4-5 years,.... Dad started out in 1950's with just wanting to drain his 20 acres, neighbors were too cheap to go together for a bigger line so all dad could do. But there is 160 acres of land in 3 bowls in that direction, and over time guess what happens. I know dad couldn't put in a 20 inch on his own back in the 1950's so the problem is always there, but things are happening faster these days, plan ahead if you can.

Your 8 inch is good today for what you plan. But look to the future, what else is upstream? Plan ahead if you can. Drainage restrictions and regulations seem to be ramping up quickly, a big main today could be wuite valuable 5 years from now.....

--->Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)