AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

20 inch corn in cent. IL
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

farmerrob
Posted 6/18/2006 09:36 (#20256 - in reply to #20026)
Subject: Re: 20 inch corn in cent. IL

We went to 22" rows last year after experimenting with rows narrower than 30. I haven't really pushed the population window much. Most reccommendations I got was for no more than 10% more population but I like to plant flex hybrids anyhow. We didn't really do anything different to deal with the residue. We had some 200+ bu/ac cron and drilled beans in it this spring with no problems. Also went corn on corn with some-just offset my rows to last years' middle. We do have trash wheels on the planter. It did change how we applied N in that we had to give up on sidedressing for now. Spraying hasn't been an issue- we have an older JD highboy that I was able to adjust for the row width. We have seen a yield increase of 10-15bu/ac which may or may not pay for the change over. We were at a point the cornhead needed some work as well as the planter so we went for the narrower rows. The tow biggest advantages I have seen are better weed control from the canopy and it seems some moisture conservation from the canopy too- this is in corn. I have reserved thoughts on the beans. Last year it turned off dry and the beans didn't canopy well enough to keep the weeds down thus we have stayed with drilled beans. One thing to note is that it will make a corn hybrid grow taller and place the ear higher than the seed company will expect which may or may not be a problem. I had one hybrid that was to be short and it ended up about another foot- foot and a half taller than what was normal for that hybrid.

Good Luck
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)