AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

cover crop effects on soil structure (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

jbgruver
Posted 11/20/2012 19:16 (#2707979 - in reply to #2707822)
Subject: Re: cover crop effects on soil structure (pics)

Hi Steve,

All the phacelia that we have on the farm this fall is volunteer. I knew that some phacelia seed had matured before we tilled up the field last June but clearly underestimated how much - see pic attached below

During the second week of March 2012, I planted a mix of phacelia, radish (Graza), crimson clover and lupine... the phacelia was metered through the small seed box of an old JD drill and dribbled on the soil surface because there were no tubes connecting the small seed box to the planting units. The rest of the mix when through the large seed box and the planting units.

The phacelia (~ 8 lb/a) ended up dominating the mix as you can see in the pics at the following link:
https://picasaweb.google.com/joelandlisa/PhacelialateMay2012

4 lbs/a would probably have been plenty.

we no-till drilled a cool season cocktail of oats, crimson clover, rapeseed and radish into some of our wheat stubble. It was so dry that nothing germinated for over a month but a decent stand established in August (see pic attached below). The plants would be bigger but we mowed this field quite low in September to prevent summer annual weeds from going to seed. In retrospect, I wish that I had included some phacelia.

I am thinking about dormant seeding some phacelia into corn stalks ahead of soybeans.

Joel
WIU Agriculture

Edited by jbgruver 11/20/2012 19:22

(Untitled.jpg)

(Coolseasoncocktail.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Untitled.jpg (72KB - 95 downloads)
Attachments Coolseasoncocktail.jpg (116KB - 109 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)