AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Integra to record tile lines
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 11/20/2012 12:01 (#2707554 - in reply to #2707350)
Subject: Re: Integra to record tile lines

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I have advised folks to setup a Planting configuration with a crop that is not normally planted in your area. I usually chose Peanuts.

The reason being that you can then define your Peanut varieties to be the various tile sizes, old tile etc. This will allow the onscreen map and later paper map to use a different color for the different types. This makes it very easy to distinguish the various sizes and old from new etc.

You might have one Peanut variety named "New 6 inch", another "New 4", another "Old Main" etc. In the past when I did this a couple of times, I even defined a variety as "Outer edge" and drove around the field with that variety "ON" to give a picture frame of the field. This could probably be done with a Boundary as well.

You merely pick the appropriate "variety" and drive over the areas and toggle the logging ON/OFF with the onscreen icon.

In one case I did this with the combine. It looked a little strange but the display was already in the combine, the combine could straddle the tile ditches, handle the rough ground nicely and I had a good high up view of the situation.

When setting up the configuration, I believe I used a combination of row number and width to make a path about 8 -10' wide. Possibly smaller would work as well but if you get "too" small it is difficult to see the line onscreen.

While I was doing this I made some notes about other information that I thought might be useful at a later time.

When I printed the map out on paper, I hand wrote some of those notes on the map and stored the map in a fireproof vault in the house along with a copy of the file that contains the data on a CD

I think it is a good idea to keep both to be on the safe side. Future software may not support the file types.

I have no experience with Easi-Suite but Ag Leader's SMS makes these maps without any problem as they are handled just like regular real planting maps. It's just that the varieties are lines rather than blocks like you would see in a real planting scenario.

Edited by tedbear 11/21/2012 09:00
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)