AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Watched Dust bowl on public TV last night
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

milofarmer1
Posted 11/19/2012 22:58 (#2706899 - in reply to #2706235)
Subject: RE: Rainfall and outlook.

Texas/New Mexico Stateline
Of course looking back there are several things I wish I had done different the past couple years.

Could have got a little cover crop of forage sorghum up and had the ground covered better if I had only known that was the only decent shower we would get at the time.

Should not have grazed out some wheat two years ago, then grazed wheat last spring. But thought, oh this drought is probably about over, we'll get a good stand of wheat this fall.....yeah right.

We are really on the edge of losing some wheat again. We are next to a huge dairy and feedyard on one half section and when the wind comes out of the south at 50mph the ground really starts moving. I have a neighbor on the east side of that yard and he has furrowed the ground on 40" centers. Not holding very good.

We can make 40-50bu wheat, and I have before. 2007 made 50bu right behind my house. Usually can get 100-200# gain/acre on calves grazing wheat, then pull them off and cut or bale decent wheat. Made 75 bu milo a couple times, even in 2010 made about 60 bu, right before the faucet was turned off. Good country if you can make it through the tough years.

I have one of those really nice flat farms that came out of the CRP this last year. Ought to be really productive if it ever rains again. No-tilled wheat into it, so no chance of blowing out..... this year anyway.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)